Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Weekend


On Friday we met with Paige's second oncologist. Even while she acknowledged that Paige had virtually no chance of long term servival, her attitude was sooo different from the other oncologist's. She spoke of a couple drugs that might be worth a shot.


Being offered even a tiny baby sized flicker of hope, and a plan that wasn't just palliative (which means, being treated for comfort, while you wait to die) made me feel so much better. It was just a slight attitude shift from the other doctor, but it made a huge difference in lifting my spirits. We have no promise that the new, less-tested drugs will work at all, but it feels great to have options still left.


Pre-grieving hurts so much. I know we are fortunate to be able to have the chance to say goodbye, which some parents don't get. But to grieve while she still lives seems so strange.


We had an amazing time in Maine at my sister's house this weekend. The kids got to play with Tim and Carrie's kids (Ben and Tim have been friends since, I don't know, maybe junior high) and go to the ocean, and Luke got to sleep in a tent one night. And they went to fireworks, and they played at the playground, and jumped on the trampoline, and went to eat at the Mexican restaurant where my niece Shannon works.


On Sunday morning we went to the Vineyard, Ronda and Dave's church, and Luke and Paige loved the music. Paige loved clapping and cheering after each song. At one point, the music leader was trying to slow down the pace, and get more quiet and contemplative. Paige, missing the subtle cues, in the big moment of silence after a song ended, gave a huge, enthusiastic, "Yay!!!!!!" heard by everyone in the big auditorium.


We brought her up for prayer after the service. One person prayed that she would be a woman of God. I amen that. I'm praying that she'll live to be 78.


Then came the highlight of the weekend: Rick and Kathy's house on a lake! A ton of people packed into a motorboat, and some of them went tubing, including Paige on daddy's lap! I wasn't in the boat, but they said Paige loved going fast in the boat when they were pulling another tuber, and that she would laugh and shriek.


The kids had a blast playing in the sand, "building houses." I spent a good part of the day inside, abstract painting with watercolors. It's my latest hobby, and it is amazingly relaxing and theraputic.


So that's what' going on here. I suspect we may be up at the hospital later this week, giving some drug or other a try. I really hope it doesn't make her beautiful hair fall out.
Thank you to all who commented on my last blog. Knowing that people are supporting us is a huge blessing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

good luck!

kat said...

We are praying for you and Paige. She is the sweetest little girl to be around. We are praying for a miracle.

Booker said...

when all the bad things had flown out of the box that Pandora had opened, Hope remained

Hope, not in despair, but as a Child of God...

Anonymous said...

Kerri and Ben-
I am so sorry about the news. If anyone is going to get a miracle it will be Paige. I think about your family often and miss all of you. Paige has brought so much into so many lives (including mine)Everytime I think of her I can't help but smile. Keep me updated on everything. I do talk with grandma; but if you guys need anything please please do not hesitate to contact me. Your mom has all my info. Paige and your family mean a lot to me. I am praying so hard for you guys and am sendig all my love.
Sarah

Anonymous said...

P.S. What a beautiful picture of your amazing family!
Sarah

Kate said...

Praise the Lord for that bit of hope! Praying and believing with you...


If you need anything in the way of cleaning, food, whatever, give me a call.

Anonymous said...

Praying for your whole family..

Stacy said...

You dont know me, I am Christy Norlands sister in law in California. I heard about Paige about 6 months ago, & the Lord put her in a special place in my heart ever since. When I read about her I dont understand exactly why some things happen from the Lord but I can tell you she is an angel in my eyes, almost like she is holding Jesus's hand with her warm smile telling us all it will be ok. I just wanted you to know how much Paige has blessed my life and you all are in my prayers daily. Thank you for sharing your angel with us in California (Calvary Chapel Romoland),I put her on the prayer chain at my church and several woman on the prayer team have also been touched by Paige's life, we all look forward to seeing her get better. God Bless you and your family....

Linds said...

I love you guys!