Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sad News


The doctor told us yesterday afternoon that Paige's cancer has returned to her bloodstream and marrow. So from their point of view, we are at the end of the line. We asked her to look for clinical trials that she might be eligible for, because to sit back and do nothing seems unbearable.


She continued with radiation today and will get it again tomorrow as well. We might do some chemo to extend her life a little and lessen her symptoms, which will increase with time. And I might look into an alternative hospital that does naturopathic treatment. I don't know.


It's fine by me if you all pound on God's door and demand a miracle. We can be Paige's importunate circle of friends. It worked it the Bible, so it's worth a shot.


The four of us are going to Maine for the weekend. Luke is there now with my sister, and is enjoying the extra attention. It's been hard for him with Paige sick, since she gets so much attention, and he's sure to have noticed how much the conversation centers on her. Ben is going to bring his boat, and we might rent kayaks. Also, there is someone in Maine who offered to give Paige a plane ride in his small plane, so we might do that.


If people are thinking, "What can I do for you guys?" here are some thoughts. Here goes:


Here at David's House, where we stay while Paige is an outpatient getting radiation, there is one of those plastic playhouses, maybe 4 feet square, with a window that opens. She LOVES it. If anyone who lives in our area has one we can borrow for a while, that would be awesome.


Any of you who do artistic or portrait photography who want to come and take a few rolls of film for us are welcome. She's really photogenic, and the more photos we take, the better our chances of getting a really great one to enlarge.


Healthy snacks are always a good option. The kids get bored with my selection. That would help with day trips too. We might see if we can go to the aquarium in Boston (unless it's just too darn germy) Hmm. Is there a zoo in New England? The kids would love that. That's all I can think of for now.


Today i'm going to paint Paige's fingernails purple, and go shopping for a barrette for her hair, which is now just long enough to hold one. She had fun playing with a baby here today, and singing her "Itsy bitsy spider."


Ok. Love to you all, and thank you for your support.





31 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes out to you all. Please know that you are all in my thoughts and prayers and that I will be making some real noise and pounding on God's doors as hard as I can for that miracle!
As for a zoo in New England--there's a great little zoo in York, Maine called York's Wild Animal Kingdom.
God bless,
Renee R. in the ICN

Anonymous said...

We are praying/begging that God would perform a miracle for Paige and that you and your family would continue to draw strength from the Lord.

Anonymous said...

STONE ZOO RIGHT OFF 93 IN STONEHAM MASS IS A LOT OF FUN! WE'RE ALL THINKING OF YOU GUYS , WILL

Anonymous said...

We believe in miracles and will keep on believing! I pray for plenty of grace and courage for you all almost every day. Much love, Meana

lis said...

Banging!

Love you!

Patrick Randall said...

My Latin professor, her husband, and their church are all praying for Paige.

Anonymous said...

We are praying for Paige and your famly. With all the noise being made God will surely hear and answer by giving you the stength you"ll need to deal with whatever comes. As for photographs...my daughter Kathleen just graduated from college with a degree in photography and her fine arts project was pictures of the girls she cared for. She is away this weekend but I'm sure she would do pics for you and you will love them and her. Enjoy the weekend in Maine and we can talk next week. Call me at home or in the ICN 802-436-2824.
Gods peace be with you, Nancy North

Booker said...

I hadn't written anything til now cause I just don't know what to say.

I am praying for you and your whole family.

I am choosing to trust that God knows what He is doing...

Liza said...

Love and prayers from Russia.

Liza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mrs. RF said...

Praying. Caring. Loving. Trusting.

Anonymous said...

I think about her everyday. We're praying that God will pull a miracle out for this one.
Love you all very much.
Kellie, Jesse and Holly

Anonymous said...

My heart is hurting and goes out to the family. My hands will be hurting as I bang on the door of our Lord. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Lon C.

Anonymous said...

Hi honey - I can't remember if we ever met but I'm your cousin once removed. Ralph Jr has been keeping my mother and I posted on Paige's condition - We have been and will continue to pound on God's door - the age of miracles continues and we believe in them.
Love you all of you

Lois

Anonymous said...

Hi Ben & Kerri,

Bev & I think of you often & pray for you & Paige.

We appreciate the posts that have kept us in touch with you. The pictures you have shared with us all are great.

We will continue to pray for God's power to prevail against cancer in Paige. May you find courage & hope during this trial.

Love, faith & support from Nova Scotia,
Phil

melrandall said...

I'm leaning hard on Jesus for Paigie and you all... aching, believing, hoping with abandon.

A couple more possibilites for fun are Southwick Zoo in Mendon, MA, and good old Roger Williams Zoo in Providence. You know you can come here anytime. Let me know if and when you want another round of pictures, cleaning, being there, whatever. Love you so much.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I heard about Paige from my mother in-law Lois O'Connell. I just wanted to let you know that I belong to a prayer network at my company (Corning, Inc) and I just put Paige on the network for the 2nd time. So be encouraged that you have ~150+ people at Corning praying for her. Our hearts go out to you and your family and we're asking God for that miracle.

the Joneses said...

I'm so sorry about this latest news. I will be praying for you all.

--DJ

Carrie said...

Becca and Eva LOVED playing with Paige and Luke this weekend. It is hard to comprehend how sick she is because she plays so well and looks strong and healthy. It was sweet to see her excitement and hear her squeal over the little pink princess car! It was also really cute when the lady at church was praying for her, she kept putting her hand on Paige's arm and Paige kept pushing it away and giving her a dirty look like "Hey, how about giving me a little space here? I don't know who you are and don't know why you keep touching me!" :) My girls and the rest of us are praying for you all each day. Maybe God considers the prayers of little children in a different way.

JJ said...

I'm SO sorry for your very sad news, Kerri!

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Janelle

Anonymous said...

Our hearts are with you, and we are praying for you all - each one of you.
The Bill Abrams

Claire said...

Wish I could be closer to support you in a practical way... I am sending my faith. Love you all so much...

pennyjean said...

I'm praying, too. My manager at work even has her church praying.
I love you guys!

Anonymous said...

banging and banging some more we still belive in miracles. we love you all so very much

The V Post family

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and many many prayers go up for you all. Everlea prays for Paige at bedtime and at mealtimes (Dear Jesus please bless this food and Paige H.):) We have you on our church's prayer chain too. Our hope is that you both will be filled with a "peace that surpasses understanding."

Another fun place: Davis Farmland in Sterling Mass. It's a big petting farm and water spray park. Not sure if it's sanitary enough for her but I have buy one get one free tickets so let me know if interested.

Wendy, Randy & Everlea

Anonymous said...

Denise and I appreciated meeting you Sunday in church and are praying with you for a miracle. Since Dave and Ronda were at our home your family has been in our hearts and prayers continually.

Dan & Denise

anderca said...

We are praying for your precious Paige. Micah and Lauren have been praying too. You are in our hearts, and we will keep praying for each of you. Love from Carol,Blake, Micah, Lauren, & Carley Anderson

Linds said...

Faith is going up from my apartment, and love is coming your way!

KMS said...

Count me in! I love you guys and am praying, too. --Kendra

Anonymous said...

I have asked my friends in these states to pray for a miracle for Paige and they call for frequent updates on her: Ca. Ok. Az. Vt. Ky. Va. WVa. Ma. and of course several places in N.H. Our hearts are believing that God has a plan for Paige and we won't rest until we see His will done. Lovingly, Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Wayne

Anonymous said...

We believe God for a miracle for little Paige, and won't stop praying until His will is done in her life. We have 9 different states praying for her, we love her very much and care for you the rest of the family. With love, The Smith's