Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Tuesday


Yesterday's appointment went quite well. First we went to the pediatric floor to see her "nurse friends" and then down the hall to Pain Free, where they sedated her with a white liquid they put in her Picc. (hah, now, after she is done forever with her Picc, I finally learn how to spell it right.)


Usually she fusses a little, and gets woozy, and conks out within 10 seconds, at which time someone takes her from my arms and lays her on the table where they give her oxygen, and then wisk us out of the room, so they can either do a biopsy, or wheel her down to MRI. This time, she talked and moved around and fought it for like 3 minutes. It was amusing to see her be more determined than the anesthesia.


The doctor spoke to us twice during the day, and I felt like the discussions were very helpful in outlining our options. Basically, Paige's bone marrow is currently in good shape (but given enough time, they think the cancer cells, which are currently at 3% in her marrow, would multiply) in fact, that's the least amount of cancer that has been in her marrow since her diagnosis.


But her brain/spinal fluid area is the problem, and unfortunately, we have already tried radiation there and really agressive drugs, with only limited success. So we talked, and asked lots of questions, and came up with a plan that will hopefully extend Paige's life some, with what we hope are limited side effects from the treatment. We'll give her some intrathecal chemo, spaced out more than before - like once a week or once every other week instead of two times a week, to limit toxicity, and we'll give her systemic chemo (for her marrow/blood) in really low doses orally, to work at reducing the speed at which the cancerous cells there multiply.


So you can focus your prayers on Paige's CSF (cerebro-spinal fluid). Luke wanted a picture of Paige's brain, so they printed out a still from her last MRI, and Luke is fascinated by it, and spent some time yesterday trying to explain the picture to Paige.


I will still research online to see what else we can do, and look for other hospitals/data that might offer us some other options.


The Doctor is guessing that Paige has less than six months. But I am still hoping for a miracle. I am thinking of having a day of prayer for Paige. Traditionally it would be a day of prayer and fasting, but I like the idea of a day of prayer and praising God. There is a story in the Bible about the Israelites preparing for a big battle, and God told the king to have everyone sing and praise God, and God himself would go fight the battle for them. He did, it was a great success, and Don Francisco sings about the event in a song I love, called "Jehoshaphat."


It would be a way to say, "Hey God, we are helpless in this situaton, so we are looking to You to do what medicine cannot." The times I have been able to praise God when things were rough have been really comforting to me.


Oh yes, they pulled Paige's picc out, and will replace it with a port next week, so Paige can have water adventures.


Ok. That sums it up. This last bad news is hitting Ben and me pretty hard, so your prayers are appreciated.


31 comments:

Kate said...

Dear friend,
Praying, praying, praying and trusting God!

Love you all SO much.

pennyjean said...

I love you and I'm praying! A day of prayer and praise is such a good idea. I would love to participate. The very least I can do, being so far away.

Booker said...

Praying and trusting God...

Anonymous said...

Praying

kat said...

You are in our prayers,we love you guys!

Anonymous said...

PRAYING























Praying !!!!
what a graet pic of paige.
much love the post family

ps the kiddos pray for paige every night

Anonymous said...

We are glad to pray. Please tell us all when you will have the "day of prayer, and we will "be there". When Jessica was so sick, the Lord assured me that HE holds the keys of life and death. Not which medical treatment we pursued. What a comfort that was. We are supporting you in faith.
Marge Abram

Anonymous said...

I have a lifted spirit by your AMAZING trust in the Lord and willingness to fight this fight. I love you guys..

Ben---Call me if you wanna talk

Josh Norland

the Joneses said...

A day of prayer and praise sounds like a great idea. Are you going to set a date, or do we all just pick one ourselves?

--DJ

Linds said...

I will pray and praise as well... He's big, this God of ours!

Anonymous said...

We love you guys, and of course we are praying-- for Paige, for you and Ben, for the whole situation.

Love from Gretchen

Anonymous said...

Are prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.
Jesse,Kellie & Holly

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kerri & Ben,
We're among the many who are praying for a miracle for your little muffin. Thanks for the wonderful pictures you're posting, that make her so real to us.
My sister Kathy loved watching her play with the other kids that Sunday-- said Paige was in the middle of the activity, laughing and racing around.
Keep us posted about the day of prayer, and know that you have praying friends in Nova Scotia too.
Warm love & support,
Bev and Phil

John L said...

Our prayers are with you all. Our family is fervently looking to the Lord for his help in this situation.
John, Brenda, and kids.

Anonymous said...

Tell us what day you choose Kerr, and you will have a lot of praises rising from the West Coast!
Christy

Anonymous said...

praying for ya'll!

Unknown said...

We are praying for your sweet little girl with everything we've got. God bless you all!

Mat, Kelly, Haven, Noah & Liam Lambert

Anonymous said...

Ben, Kerri and family,
I'm sorry it took me so long to write. I just didn't know what to say. I am soooo sorry; not only devestating news but after a roller coaster. Please let me know the day of prayer. I told your mom , but just to let you know I had my parents add paigey to their prayer list at church in Florida. I think of your family and my "paigey pants" everyday! You have all truly touched my soul. Like I said before if you need anything!
Love, hugs, and prayers,
Sarah

PS I cut my hair for locks of love today :)

Anonymous said...

Hi! A day of praise and prayer sounds so much more effective than fasting and prayer! I have been reading a lot lately about a healing revival coming like none other - let's start it with Paige?!

Judy Crews

Anonymous said...

Praying for you with love Sue Jones

Anonymous said...

Ben & Kerri,
I am praying and trusting God. Please let me know when you are planning the day of prayer and praise. I wish I could do more for ya'll. Much love.

Kim

Anonymous said...

Ditto on the day of prayer and praise. My heart leaped at the idea! Hope to be up for a visit soon--will call to check on scheduling. Faith, hope, and love from all of us to all of you...

Big Laura

Claire said...

Kerri, your attitude in this post is awesome. I'm sure your emotions are all over the place - but your attitude, your set of soul, your testimony is what you keep coming back to and establishing as the center of your heart - and it's so encouraging and inspiring to see how it's so focused on God. I hope I made some sort of sense here...I pray for you all often. We are all in God's hands and it's a good place to be.

Adam said...

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you; The Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace".Numbers 6:24-26

May the God of Peace wrap His arms around your family during this time.

Praying

ahappywife said...

Ben & Kerri,

My heart is bursting with love for you, aching too.

Name the day for praise and prayer, I'll be there.

God is great, but sometimes life ain't good
And when I pray it doesn't always turn out like I think it should
But I do it anyway, I do it anyway
--Martina McBride "Anyway"

Faith, Hope & Love,
Fritha

JJ said...

We would be happy to pray and praise with you too. I have told your story to several people who I know are praying too. Name the day and we will join you.

Janelle

kw said...

Kerri
What an amazing response in the midst of your world falling apart..keep thinking of you all and praying. You are not alone!

lis said...

Praying too! And I think that the pra

lis said...

(Oops)

Fighting with praise sounds perfect. Just like His paradoxical love: He who "looks on tempests and is never shaken" and yet chooses to get into the boat and be tossed about with us!

Much love.

Anonymous said...

Kerri, Ben, and family,

Hi, it's the other Carrie, the nurse from CHaD. The pictures of Paige on this site are absolutely beautiful. She has such an amazing and unforgettable spirit. I sometimes think I hear her on the unit, even when I know she is not there. . .her little giggles and screams when she's running around, etc. I think of you all often and pray for Paigey.

Love,
Carrie

anderca said...

We are continuing to pray for Paige, and for both of you, Kerri, and Ben. Carol Anderson