Saturday, September 15, 2007

Sabbath

Paige has had a rough few days. (We went home on Tuesday.) Thursday night she was awake most of the night in pain. Tylenol and morphine didn't seem to help. She was really restless, and she moved from the futon bed in the living room, to my bed, to her bed, back to my bed, and we finally ended up on the futon, where she wanted to watch movies and look at books. She loves her Noah book, and keeps calling Noah "Jesus".

I called the oncologist at 4am, who said maybe we should come in early to chemo. We would have left the house at 9:30, and instead Paige and my mom left at 7:00 so she could get some pain management before her chemo started. Dad watched Luke for hours, and thanks to my wonderful parents, I was able to catch up on lots of missed sleep.

The oncology people made a handy dandy daily medication schedule that includes 3 or 4 doses of oxycodone, some steroids, pepcid for her tummy, adavan, zofran for nausea, miralax for her digestion and probably some other things I'm not remembering. (Mom has Paige tonight, so the list is with her.) I went over to Mom's tonight to drop off some medication, and Paige was on a mattress in the living room, watching Barney and eating a double cheeseburger.

Her pain at this point is caused by all the cancer cells in her marrow/body. The chemo regimen she's on isn't fast acting, and I sure hope it kicks in soon.

Last night I lit some candles and Luke and I had a Sabbath meeting. I said a prayer and we said what we were thankful for. I don't do this very often, as was evidenced by Luke's enthusiastic, "And now, let's tell ghost stories!" He sat on the coffee table next to the candles, and rattled off 3 or 4 stories like lightening, complete with many gestures and facial expressions. One of them sounded suspiciously like "Beauty and the Beast" which he had just watched that evening for the first time. How the heck does he know what a ghost story is? I just laughed and laughed and told Luke what a great story teller he was.

Prayer list:

  1. for Paige not to hurt!
  2. for her appetite - she lost weight and muscle during her two week hospital stay
  3. for her chemo drug to do it's job, and start killing her cancer cells
  4. for our family's peace, and "family-ness" as we are often in three different places at any given time (my amazing niece Casey is in the process of temporarily moving in with us to help out with the kids, so this should really help with having both kids at home more often.)

4 comments:

Booker said...

Oh K, praying that you have a true Sabbath today!

Keep up the courage...

TripleNine said...

Chestnut Hill is continuing to remember you and your family in prayer. Blessings on you all.

Anonymous said...

I'm praying that Paige is able to find some relief and be her happy smiley self. I miss you guys and think about you everyday. If you need anything don't hesitate to contact me! Sending love and hugs!
Sarah

Anonymous said...

still praying every day. you are loved!!!!!Ohh little luke i can only imagine how great his ghost stories are i love his voice and mannerismis.
hugs to all.
Post family