Saturday, January 5, 2008

Platelets




I mentioned that I would post platelet info, so here it is. We have a friend at Dana Farber, a little boy named Benjamin who we met at CHaD, and his mom recently blogged that platelets are needed at that hospital. Platelets have a shelf life of 5 days. If you are interested in donating there, you can call 617-632-3206.

Only two first time donors will be taken at a time, and you need to answer a few minutes of questions on the phone before they give the go-ahead that someone qualifies to donate. If you qualify, they can set you up with an appointment. 1-3 in the afternoon is the best time of day for the bank to take first time donors. The process takes I believe, 2 hours, and involves a needle in both arms; one to take blood, the other to put back your own blood that has had platelets filtered out.

If you live too far away to donate in Boston, please consider donating at a hospital or Red Cross donation center near you. The Red Cross number is 1-800-GIVELIFE, and they can tell you where the nearest donation center is.

Luke Ben and I were in the house the other day, and Luke said, "Is there anyone else here?" "Nope, just the three of us." I said. Luke got teary and said, "Why not four?" He misses Paigey a lot, and said most every night for a while, "Let's talk about why Paigey died."

We begin grief counseling on Monday.

Here is one of my favorite video clips.



12 comments:

kw said...

I have never met Paige, but this was magical--to hear her and see her. What an amazing girl:) Praying for you...

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful video. This clip showed some of Paige's interesting personality.

Karen said...

I thought of your family and sent up prayers several times over the holidays...what a wonderful video memory of a beautiful little girl. Thank you so much for sharing it:)

Anonymous said...

Kerri,

That video was amazing. Benjamin and I watched it together and of course I cried. Benjamin asked why I was crying and I said it made me sad to know Paigey isn't here anymore and in all his wisdom he replies "she's with us...just in heaven" and I said you are so right.

Got to wonder how wonderful heaven must truely be with all these wonderful children playing together. Free from pain ALWAYS!

My heart contiues to break for you and your family. Thank you for keeping my Benjamin in your prayers. We love you!

Jennifer & Benjamin
carepages.com "helpbenjamin"

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing her giggle. What a sweetheart! Still remembering you guys!

Janelle

Jude said...

wow, that was just too beautiful...i miss you all of you so much, will keep in touch...much love, jude

melrandall said...

Thanks for posting that, Kerri--nothing quite beats hearing that laugh again. I was in Florida this week, and we went to a restaurant right on the beach. There was a live band playing and a little girl about Paige's age was dancing and twirling all around in her summer dress and hat. I just sat and stared and smiled and cried. Oh, how I miss her....

Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful video to bring out Miss Paige's true shine! I miss you guys an think of you often. Your family and Paige hold a specialplace in my heart.Lots of love!
Sarah

Wendy said...

Just wanted to share this with you Kerry as you all continue to be on our hearts still and Everlea continues to brings up Paige periodically. The other day she was looking at a little silver prayer bracelet someone had given her that has a tiny box attached to it where you can hold a prayer. Paige's initials were on a tiny piece of paper that I had put inside the box for her quite awhile back. She held the bracelet in her hands for a few seconds than looked up at me and said "Jesus must love Paige H_____ very much, doesn't He" I told her" that yes He really does." As I was sitting in church later that morning I got teary eyed thinking about it because she used the present tense and it reminded me that she is very much alive with Jesus and she wasn't just loved, she IS loved! We continue to hold you and your family up to Him this year.

p.s the video was very precious!!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed watching the video. It is easy to see why you miss her so much. Thank you for sharing with us.

Lots of Love

Anonymous said...

thinking about you.
love Jennifer & Benjamin

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you guys...Miss you all
Sarah