Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Dancing Music

Last Saturday was Peterborough's Children and the Arts Festival. Ben had Luke for the day, and I wanted to pick up something at my parent's house, which is only about three miles away in my same town.

Alas, detour due to the Festival's puppet parade that was taking place on the main road. The puppets are very creepy. People wear robed costumes and huge paper mache heads (of Obama, Ghandi, that sort of thing) which stick up about 8 feet in the air. And then the costume-wearers glide down the parade route, looking ghastly. If one headed in my direction, I do believe I would run. Anyway, I was detoured, so I parked my car, and ended up spending the next FIVE hours walking around downtown Peterborough, enjoying the festival.

One of the first things I came to was a large tent with a steel drum band. The music was very Caribbean, and fun, and upbeat. There were probably 15 players, mostly under the age of 18. The music was just lovely. I chatted with a woman who happened to also play, and I asked her lots of questions, like - how does one metal drum get so many tones? She explained in great detail, and when she finished, I said that my son would love this.

And then I thought, Paigey would love this. And I spent the next 15 minutes crying. Tears streaming down my face crying. Face scrunched up crying. Shuddered inhalation before resuming crying crying. Families milled around. Children ran by. A few people danced. There were lots of toddlers. Lots of little girl toddlers.

I miss my Paigey.

2 comments:

lis said...

:O(

Anonymous said...

We miss her too!

If you ever want to talk or get together just shoot me an email.

Hugs

Jennifer
smilesnh31@yahoo.com